Friday, June 13, 2008

New zine on the horizon

I turned thirty in April, inherited a music collection, got a turntable, and felt inspired enough by the Blowfly/Antiseen shows to write a 5-page review of it. This can only mean one thing: Jake is going to try doing his own zine again! That's right...not a blog...not a webzine...a real, live print zine that you can read while sitting on the can! No scanners or Photoshop either, everything was done the old fashioned way with a pair of scissors and a roll of tape. I was hoping to come up with a zine that would be four or maybe eight pages...and considering how long my reviews can be, I don't know how I could have thought that this would be a realistic notion. No, instead this looks like it's going to be a 12-page zine instead. Oh well.

Expect the Blowfly/Antiseen review, which is already laid out and looks better than any layout I did for P.U.N.K zine. You'll get record and film reviews too, once they are done and I am able to determine how much room I have for them. I think I've settled on The Evil Eye as the name. Sure, people will probably think it's a metal zine, but at least it doesn't sound like every other hardcore zine out there that either named themselves after their favorite Black Flag song or musical trappings like Short, Fast & Loud.

I don't know how much it's going to cost, or when it'll actually be ready for your perusal. When I do, so will you.

No comments: