Saturday, October 11, 2008

HORROR EPICS: 30 Days of Night

30 DAYS OF NIGHT (2007)
This movie was a bit of a pleasant surprise when I first saw a bootleg of it, since I honestly wasn’t expecting much out of it. Although I do enjoy some of this current crop of horror movies, the fact remains that I’m judging most of them by lesser standards than normal. Most of them really aren’t that good, for reasons that I covered when reviewing Automaton Transfusion earlier. But 30 Days of Night manages to stand out from the rest by actually being a good movie for more reasons than just special effects, at least as far as my opinion is concerned. I love the concept of a town that’s accessible only by airplane, where most sane people take off during the month in which the sun doesn’t shine. Those that are left are forced to deal with a pack of vampires who arrive, and begin their killing spree by attacking sled dogs and cutting off the town’s power supply. The vampires are fucked up and crazy-looking, having more in common with Nosferatu than Bela Lugosi. They even have their own brutal pseudo-German language, rather than some cheesy “I vant tu sock yor blooooooooood” kinda shit. Fortunately, the Generic Y2K Horror Movie Cast doesn’t exactly apply to the setting of a small Alaskan town, and there’s no fucking “hockey moms” in sight either. Maybe it’s just been a long time since I’ve seen a good vampire movie, but I really enjoyed 30 Days of Night. Much darker (duh) and more creepy than what passes for a lot of today’s horror fare. That said, it’s also not excessively violent like the unrated versions of, well, any of those other new movies. In fact, I don’t think an unrated version of 30 Days even exists. Not to say that this movie lacks intensity and is without its moments. But it is good enough without having to go there as often. It has the elements that these other movies sorely lack. I think 30 Days of Night will be one of those movies that ages well, where I’ll be able to go back to it in 5-10 years and still enjoy it as much as I do now. The other horror movies that have come out in this decade thus far have yet to achieve that distinction.

No comments: