Wednesday, October 8, 2008

HORROR EPICS: Halloween (1978)

HALLOWEEN (1978)
I've seen Halloween a whole buncha times and you probably have too, but it's dumb to exclude it given the theme being covered here and all. Like with Gremlins, the impact has lessened with time. But it's still good to pop this in the ol' VCR (uh huh, that's right!) and pay another visit to the town of Haddonfield, Illinois every once in a while. I still love seeing the four-eyed jackass get pinned to the closet door. When poor Laurie finds the dead bodies of her friends and Michael's face suddenly looms out of the darkness, it's still a killer scene. I used to have a huge crush on Jamie Lee Curtis, and will probably always have a thing for Nancy Loomis, who usually plays "bitchy" roles in John Carpenter movies. So I guess this movie will always be good to me. There are also the small touches—like the driving scene where the girls are smoking a joint in the car, oblivious to the fact that Michael Meyers is following them in his stolen vehicle. As they shoot the shit and get high, "Don't Fear the Reaper" plays on the radio. If there are still doubts, there is always the melodramatic performance on the part of Donald Pleasance in his vigorous pursuit of the escaped killer. What I found most interesting was going back and watching this after seeing Dario Argento movies like the classic Suspiria. It's clear (and I think director John Carpenter has actually said this himself) that Halloween was influenced by some of those Italian horror flicks, although it isn't as artsy or stylistic. At least Carpenter comes up with a proper ending. I thought it'd be funny if I tried to cover all of the Halloween movies in these posts, and I might still do that anyway, but the original will always loom over the rest of them with good reason. I could mention the Rob Zombie remake too, but I'm going to save that for its own review in the near future.

No comments: