Wednesday, October 29, 2008

HORROR EPICS: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (1974)
This one has been a favorite of mine since my mom started to allow me to rent rated R movies on my video card. In fact, whenever I go down Memory Lane, I can still taste the spaghetti and meatballs I gorged myself on when I watched this movie for the first time. You say they did a remake, eh? Not according to the world I live in! The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is as good as it gets, and the very idea of a remake is tantamount to blasphemy. (And I hear the remake is exactly that.) One of the key factors in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is the raw and uncompromising look to the film; hopefully the DVD re-releases haven’t brightened it up too much. Yes, I am old-fashioned and still watch my old VHS copy, although the sound is getting ready to drop out any day. My fingers are crossed in the hopes that I won’t be sorry when I have to replace it. I’m sure anyone reading this has seen this movie numerous times, but let’s take another ride in the van with our hippie friends anyway. Let’s watch as they walk, one by one, into a strange house inhabited by a psychotic cannibal family, most menacing of which is a corn fed, chainsaw-wielding lunatic wearing a mask made of human skin. Relive the classic scene when the girl gets hung on the meat hook, or when the geeky guy screams like a little girl at the sight of Leatherface advancing towards him. Take guilty pleasure in the handicapped guy getting a chainsaw in the torso if you must. Enjoy Leatherface doing something of a dance with the saw as the film closes. Still a mesmerizing tale of brutality to this day. That’s John Larroquette from TV’s “Night Court” narrating the beginning, but you probably knew that already.

No comments: