Thursday, October 8, 2009

HORROR EPICS: Return of the Fly (1959)

“…With Vincent Price,” as the Misfits song goes. Fifteen years after Dr. Andre Delambre performed his fateful teleportation experiment, his son Philippe gets the bright idea that he can succeed where Daddy failed. Unfortunately, his lab assistant has other ideas. Again, things go horribly wrong when Philippe catches on. One thing leads to another, and Philippe the Fly is born. Is it just me, or do the men in this family have some issues to work out? Fucking French people, I swear… Return of the Fly isn’t as inventive as the 1958 original, but I thought it had less of a cheese factor. I also rarely like the look of in-color films from the 1950s, so I felt that shooting Return of the Fly in black-and-white was beneficial. It (obviously) gives the movie a darker feel that wouldn’t have been there otherwise. The Fly certainly looks way uglier in black-and-white too, and that is important. Most reviews are hard on Return of the Fly, so I guess I’m in a minority that likes it. Even VideoHound’s Cult Flicks & Trash Pics referred to it as “mediocre.” Forget what the critics think. Both The Fly and Return of… come as a two-for-one DVD package these days (I think). See them back to back and tell me which one you’d take more seriously. Followed in 1965 by another sequel, Curse of the Fly, which wasn’t released on video or DVD until 2007.



No comments: