Friday, December 18, 2009

Lach!

What do you do when your killer band breaks up and you still want to jam? Well, if you’re Rorschach bassist Thom Rusnak, you pack up and head across the pond to Berlin. During your stay, you start a band with some of the wacky local stoners. Naturally, you come up with some interesting heavy jams. But stoner jam bands are what metalheads do, and you’re not gonna stand for that. So you bring in the percussion. The keyboards. The cellist. The noise bits. Even a grand piano. When you can’t figure out anything else to completely alienate any notions of mid ‘90s hesher fandom, you make a mental note to include some shit about the dangerous phallic symbolism of the freakin’ didgereedoo in your liner notes. After making sure nobody in heavy music will want to hear your band, the only group left is hippie pagan Eurocrustys—who you pissed off later on when you decided to write folk songs about Hitler. What? Hey man, I don’t know either. It’s just what they tell me. But then you come to your senses long enough to get a plane ticket back to the good ol’ US of A and start Kiss It Goodbye with some of your old buddies from Rorschach. And things are back to normal, with your trip to Deutschland fading into a distant past.


Lach and load here.

4 comments:

Sean said...

My God, I haven't heard this band since this came out! Wasn't there an alternate cover also?

The Evil Eye said...

The only cover I know about is the one pictured above.

thomnak said...

This is the funniest synopsis of my time in Germanythat i have ever heard/read. Pretty much nail on the head too. I was young and I had some odd ideas about what sounds good, and about why one makes music. I'm feeling much better now thank you.

The Evil Eye said...

You are most welcome, sir! And thank YOU for stopping by and commenting. I really do enjoy the Ambush CD from time to time.