Friday, February 5, 2010

You Want the Personal Touch?

Sid Vicious died 31 years ago this week, so we’re gonna look at his lone solo album through The Evil Eye this week. The Sex Pistols were the first punk band I heard nearly twenty years ago, and I made it a point to absorb as much information as I could about them and this whole punk thing I was getting into. Eventually, this led me to Sid Sings, released posthumously in 1979. I was about fourteen years old when I got this album, and I’ll admit that I listened to this as much as any other punk band I was into at the time. The padlock and chain were around my neck and I had not one, but two Sid Vicious T-shirts that I wore regularly. I actually still have the one with the “SID VICIOUS DEAD” headline on the front page of the Sun, but it’s far too small to wear at this stage in the game. My sister even named one of her cats Sid because of that shirt. I think she thought it was funny that her little brother was trying to be some fuckin’ punker kid like she might have thought about at that age.

Malcolm McLaren was once quoted as saying that if Johnny Rotten was the voice of punk rock, then Sid was the attitude. Well, right before they go into “My Way,” you distinctly hear a woman yelling, “you’re a poser!” in the background. She might have a point there. Despite forming a potentially great band with New York Dolls Killer Kane and Jerry Nolan, Sid’s oh-so punk attitude apparently didn’t have any room for writing new songs like Johnny was for Public Image Limited. Not only do you get lo-fi versions of “My Way” and Eddie Cochran’s “Something Else” from The Great Rock ‘n’ Roll Swindle, you also get a Vicious rendition of the Pistols’ “Belsen was a Gas.” The rest of the album consists of familiar favorites from Iggy, the Dolls, and the Heartbreakers. And there you have it: Reduced to a mere cover band. Mimicking the voice of punk more often than not. The punk attitude had nothing original to offer after all.

I still have this album, and it’s safe to say that it’s not going anywhere. As much as I can’t stand it now, there’s no way I can get rid of it. Not because of sentimental value, but because it’s pointless to sell it back to the record store. I’d get next to nothing for it. Give it away? Like anyone wants it. I suppose I could just throw it away or leave it out on the sidewalk like the turd that it is, but that would mean I couldn’t pull it out of the punk rock toilet and share it with you today. And wouldn’t that be a shame?

Make sure you wear gloves when you pull out this turd here.

1 comment:

SEAN ÄABERG said...

You're being too mean! This album is like a pop art product for the art project called the Sex Pistols. In that it's great. The swastika guitar logo on the record itself is fantastic. I want a t-shirt of it so that people will try to kill me more often. I think you can see a booger in Sid's nose here. In a way it's depressing how disposable these guys were viewed & it's kind of crazy how much things have changed since then. If i had a hot property like the Pistols you know full well i'd get some good songs written (how hard is it to write a good rock & roll song? apparently hard.) & i'd cut as much stuff as possible. Pink & yellow vinyl. Swastikas ahoy. Packets of gob. Whatever. I love all of it. If you want to get rid of it, it's welcome to keep my copy company.