Friday, May 28, 2010

Construct & Demolish

Prank Records recently released a new seven-inch by mid ‘90s experimental hardcore cult legends Ice Nine, who have apparently reunited. I really liked their side of the split with Charles Bronson back in the day, so I was intrigued when I found out that one of their members had a new band called Time in Malta. This was sometime in maybe 1998. Grind and “extreme hardcore” in general was the big deal…and so was emo. Every once in a while, you would hear a band that crossed the then-current emo and hardcore genes and did it well. Time in Malta was one of those bands. More importantly for me, they were locals, meaning I could see them often. For a while there, they were a fantastic live band. Their songs had an uplifting quality, which was sometimes refreshing after being inundated with the doom and gloom of His Hero is Gone and the like.

When Time in Malta started undergoing lineup changes, that was when I lost interest. They became better known after that, but I gather that their later material didn’t exactly deliver. I guess a lot of people have a hard time believing that Time in Malta was a great band at one point, but here’s the proof. Construct and Demolish is their debut seven-inch and it’s still a good one to listen to over ten years later. Make it part of your summertime jam sessions here.

4 comments:

Sara said...

Thanks Jake! I'm downloading this because I love Summertime Jams Sessions!! This also reminded me that we still need to watch 'Bronson'.

Israel said...

Seriously, you should see the faces people make when I tell them that the first Time in Malta record was good, and seeing then was unreal. Sooo much energy. I think the show that they got put on my radar was when they played Gilman with (I think) Dead and Gone and Ink and Dagger. I just remember being completely blown away that this GIGANTIC sound was coming out of a trio, and that the bass player barely even played, just sort of punched his bass while he was singing. It was unreal.

leftoffthedial said...

I was wearing my Construct and Demolish shirt at work the other day and had a coworker comment on my questionable taste in bands. I spent a good ten minutes trying to convince her that their early stuff and shows the first couple of years were fucking awesome. Now I can send over these mp3's to prove my point.

The Evil Eye said...

Do it!