Friday, July 30, 2010

Never Grow Old

Lately, I’ve been feeling the need for uber-hot summer days that force me to get out of my house and onto my bike for some epic-length bike rides. Riding up Telegraph with a pleasant breeze blowing through my hair, down the Ohlone Greenway and up the waterfront to Point Richmond and back. Unfortunately, there haven’t been very many of those days this summer. Then again, I live in the Bay Area, where it’s been said that the coldest winter spent is a summer here. With that in mind, I thought maybe I’d try to manifest the weather I want by posting some perfect summertime music. And really, who better of a choice to compel the forces of nature to raise the temperature than Toots & the Maytals?

And now I’m going to switch gears to another feeling that this record inspired…

Never Grow Old. Absolutely goddamn right, but let me clarify what I mean. Those of us who don’t have a cliché “hope I die before I get old” death wish will inevitably advance in age. As well, we will become older in a physical sense. The sooner we accept that, the better the process will be. However, that does not mean that we have to grow mentally older too. It is one thing to mature and progress. To encounter things that make us question our beliefs and solidify them, or change them to something more realistic. There’s nothing wrong with that. It’s another thing to completely shed the things that made you feel alive in your younger years to fit somebody else’s notion of what it means to be an “adult.” Fuck that shit. There’s nothing that “adults” have that I want. I figured that out a long time ago while living on the streets of Berkeley. I watched thousands of people scurry to and fro on the UC Berkeley campus, worrying entirely too much about things like “making the grade” and going “places” in life. Inevitably, many of those people are going to wake up one day and wonder what else they could have done with their time instead of living up to the expectations of others.

Never Grow Old. Life is for living and you’ve only got one chance at it, so enjoy it while it lasts. Do the things you love to do. The playthings of your youth do not have to be put aside in favor of giving in to the pressures of supposed adulthood. Never allow your enthusiasm to be destroyed by the jaded forces of self-defeat. Stay young at heart and avoid the mid-life crisis that will consume so many of your peers as they try to catch up on the years they missed. Never. Grow. Old.

I would also like to take the time to dedicate this post to my dear friend Sara, who will be celebrating her birthday this coming Monday. Happy early birthday, Miss Sara! I love you, my precious!

Tell me you love me
here.

2 comments:

Wain said...

That's the truth.
Thanks.

Sara said...

Before my official birthday month comes to an end, I'd like to say thanks for the b-day shout out. I'd also like to express my unending gratitude for you, your opinions and your insight in my life as well.
A wise man once told me at a very pivotal time in my existence that "life is for living". That man changed my life.
I love this post and feel honored to be mentioned in the same written vicinity as Toots and the Maytals!

I love you too Jake.