Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Demo Alert: Badr Vogu

For the past six months or so, Badr Vogu have been playing shows around the East Bay and even completed a tour up the West Coast in January. Of all the bands I have heard these guys play in—World Eater, Strains of the Apocalypse, and Hotblack Desiato, to name a few—Badr Vogu is certainly their best effort thus far. Their “West Oakland blues crust” tag line isn’t the most accurate one to these ears, though. When I think of the term “crust,” bands like Amebix, Deviated Instinct, and Hellbastard are a few that come to mind. I don’t hear much of that when I listen to Badr Vogu. What I do hear is some potentially toxic sludge influenced by early ‘90s bands from below the Mason-Dixon Line. Of course, I am referring to the likes of Eyehategod and Buzzov-en here. Maybe I’m just nit picking, since anyone who has spent a substantial amount of time in Oakland’s heavy punk/metal scene knows that the lines between crust and sludge have always been blurry in this neck of the woods. It will be some time before Badr Vogu can comfortably lump themselves in with older Oakland bands like Eldopa, Skaven, or even Stormcrow. Personally, I don’t particularly care for the outright stealing of riffs from bands that are still around, which Badr Vogu does to Brainoil on their song “S.O.B.” Other bits and pieces also sound familiar. “S.O.B.” just happens to be the one that stands out in its appropriation/thievery. Mind you, this isn’t to say that there is no potential for Badr Vogu to get better. The potential is there and they will certainly improve on their craft. For now, their ideas are still in the formation stage. When Badr Vogu gets to where they want and need to be, you will pretend you were on the home team from the beginning. Get off to a running start here.

2 comments:

jennamerica said...

I found your blog when reading up on badr vogu (they are playing a show here in Austin this week).
I'm loving your posts! I don't follow many blogs but definitely all over yours. Keep it up :)

jennamerica said...

I found your blog when reading up on badr vogu (they are playing a show here in Austin this week).
I'm loving your posts! I don't follow many blogs but definitely all over yours. Keep it up :)