Friday, June 10, 2011

Fucking Rich Scumbag Brickface

I’m not sure how much regard Defiance gets from today’s spiky-topped youth, but when Rancid and Total Chaos went about reinforcing the punk rock cartoon image in the mid ‘90s, this Portland punk corps was one of a few who kept the flame burning. Of course, I’ve met a few people who have said that Defiance are just as bad as Total Chaos (impossible), but their association with Profane Existence suggested that they were at least a step above that mentally. Then again, Profane used to give props to Total Chaos too, so I really have no idea what I’m talking about anymore. I was a naïve teenage punker…give me a break. Talk shit about Defiance if you want to, but members of this lineup went on to bands that you probably do like…Detestation, Severed Head of State, and Blood Spit Nights, to name a few. At one point, this band was doing SOMETHING right, dammit.

Anyway, the first two Defiance seven-inches were always the main records I’d recommend to people whenever they were brought up. Their first LP,
No Future, No Hope, was also very good, but maybe a little on the long side. Played back to back, the earlier seven-inches are a perfect length (that’s what SHE said). I don’t care what anybody says; these records were fucking great in 1995 and they still are today. Perfectly solid UK82-influenced punk rock that knew when to slam, when to pogo, and when to rally the spiky troops to the stage for a most rousing anthem. What set a distinction between Defiance and other bands of their ilk was Kelly Halliburton’s nifty bass playing. He just gave them a groove that was missing in other bands that I really liked. Once he left the band, so did my interest. After that, Defiance sounded less inspired; like just another band of punk rock fashion victims.

To be honest, I have no idea if Defiance is even still around in the here and now. It doesn’t really matter to me anyway. Those early seven-inches are all I need. Profane Existence Far East must have realized that back in the mid ‘90s, because they re-released those records together on a three-inch CD. In the hopes of reintroducing you to Defiance when they were at their best, we at The Evil Eye have brought that CD to you. Won’t you satisfy your inner punk here?

No comments: