Friday, November 18, 2011

I’m in Löve (with a Deåd Blog)

According to the world I live in, every suburban punk and metalhead should have a special place in his or her hearts for GWAR. They are a band that I feel like people should have checked out early in their exploration of this music. GWAR has always been schlocky music for obnoxious teenagers. It’s not fair to say that you missed the boat otherwise, because everybody knows that it’s more about how old you feel internally. Saying that, there may still be a chance for you to properly enjoy GWAR if you still retain some aspect of shithead teenager to your overall being.

Most die-hard GWAR fans probably rate their second album, Scumdogs of the Universe, as the band’s best. For my money, it is all about the record preceding it. Hell-O! wasn’t the first GWAR album I heard, but it has remained a necessary part of my twenty-year-long musical journey. If I could only use one word to describe this album, it would be FUN. Goddamned right I said fun! From start to finish, Hell-O! exemplifies that word in the best of ways. Records like Damaged conjure up different feelings of sociopathic rage. Hell-O! is the record that makes me smile. I think there’s plenty of room in evil rock ‘n’ roll for bands that can legitimately do that. Fashionably depressed and/or angry music gets old sometimes. Save some room for the band of crack-smoking aliens stranded in Antarctica. Slayer never had the balls to write about necrobestiality as a love song, did they?

It may interest you to know that not only was this rip sourced from the original LP on Kramer’s Shimmy-Disc label, but we have also included the cassette-only bonus track “Black and Huge” for your listening pleasure. We are also happy to inform you that all of this is presented in perfect MP3 quality at a 320kbps bit rate. This is just one more example of why you are always in good hands with us here at The Evil Eye.

No comments: