Friday, January 13, 2012

Medicine of Thieves

Sixteen years ago, I was at Gilman waiting for the first night of the 1996 Slap a Ham Fiesta Grande to start when my friend Ben came running up to me in excitement. Totally stoked, he informed me that tonight’s show featured a surprise jump-on band—Copout, who had blown minds at the previous year’s Fiesta Grande. I really loved the Copout seven-inch and wanted my own copy, so I rushed over to their merch table to say hello. Unfortunately, Ben was a little too excited to get his info straight. Copout had broken up quite some time ago, so they would not be playing tonight after all. Instead, it was their new band with a weird name: His Hero is Gone. I think they caught the disappointed look on my face and reassured me that things hadn’t changed much between bands. Fine, I will keep an open mind and see what these guys are all about.

By the end of their set, those of us who were bummed about the Copout tease had been won over by His Hero is Gone and their blistering doom-and-gloom hardcore. With newfound looks of excitement on our faces, we flocked back to their merch table for anything they had for sale. Everyone bought their T-shirts except for me. I only had enough money to choose between a shirt and a demo. Judging by this post, I think you can guess which choice I made. Can’t say I have ever regretted that decision.


The die-hard His Hero is Gone fans might find it funny, but the
Medicine of Thieves demo was always my favorite material of theirs. Most of their records never really grabbed my attention the way this demo did. Don’t ask me why; I have no idea. Maybe it is because they still managed to sound heavy and overpowering with an eight-track recording. Perhaps it was because Todd killed my enthusiasm by talking way too much between songs every other time I saw them live. Ultimately, it is more than likely due to my being there for that first Gilman show and how special that entire evening was to me. Too bad I didn’t think to tape them off the Gilman soundboard like I did with Charles Bronson, Spazz, and Phobia that night. Wouldn’t that have been a nice bonus to this tape?


I have seen copies of
Medicine of Thieves with a different cover, but I don’t know what the story is with that version. Rest assured that this is the same tape that I purchased from His Hero is Gone themselves back on January 5, 1996. I have taken good care of that tape ever since then and I am happy to share it with all two or three of our readers today. Join Team Murder USA here.

2 comments:

eza said...

fuck yeah!! no comments? you have gold here my friend. thank you so much for sharing.

eza.

Zeno Marx said...

cool post. I was selling records at a table, talking with one of the guys from Preparation H, and we had a similar goosebumps moment. Everyone stopped talking and listened in awe. I wasn't smart enough to find a demo or a T-shirt; one of those great music regrets.