Friday, September 7, 2012

Flash Gits in the Hour of KALX

Many a band have passed through the hallowed halls of UC Berkeley’s KALX to play live in their studio on Saturday nights. My crappy teenage punk band actually happened to get that chance shortly before we broke up, which was a personal goal of mine. You can imagine that I was nothing short of thrilled to be there. I was also nothing short of wasted during the entire broadcast. The rest of the band was NOT thrilled about that. The KALX people would not allow me to bring alcohol into the studio, especially what with my being underage. Instead, I chugged down my 64 of Mickey’s in the back of Fat Slice Pizza and walked back to sweat out my toxins. Naturally, I sobered up the second we finished playing.

Perhaps some of these songs should have been included on our posthumous Flash Gits in the Hour of Chaos CD. We fucked up a number of songs, but never did Ian’s guitar sound fit the “volcanic chaos punk” description more than it does here. This is essentially what you got if you happened to be bored enough to see us play—four Beavis and Butt-Heads with Doc Martens and musical instruments, making noise and saying dumb shit. We broke up two weeks later, angry with each other and frustrated with our own lack of upward mobility. After the fact, Six Weeks informed me that our song “Cider Sluts” was one of their favorites on their upcoming America in Decline compilation and wanted to put out a record for us. We would have died happy punks with that accomplishment, but it was too late. That was a typical scenario with this band, as well as others in the area with similar destinies.

Click here if you can give Shen-Shen a place to crash tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha "Shen-Shen" I totally forgot about her!

Anonymous said...

Haha. Shen Shen. Totally forgot about her. Her dad somehow got my number and called me relentlessly trying to track down his daughter.